Art Gallery of New South Wales, Sydney, Australia


Sydney Art Gallery
1900s
Publisher: Sydney Post Card Company

Google Street View.

Virtual Tour

On 24 April 1871, a public meeting was convened in Sydney to establish an Academy of Art “for the purpose of promoting the fine arts through lectures, art classes and regular exhibitions.” Eliezer Levi Montefiore (brother of Jacob Levi Montefiore and nephew of Jacob and Joseph Barrow Montefiore) co-founded the New South Wales Academy of Art (also referred to as simply the Academy of Art) in 1872. . . . The destruction of the Garden Palace by fire in 1882 placed pressure on the government to provide a permanent home for the national collection. In 1883 private architect John Horbury Hunt was engaged by the trustees to submit designs.[8] The same year there was a change of name to the “National Art Gallery of New South Wales”. The Gallery was incorporated by The Library and Art Gallery Act 1899. In 1895, the new Colonial Architect, Walter Liberty Vernon (1846–1914), was given the assignment to design the new permanent gallery and two picture galleries were opened in 1897 and a further two in 1899. A watercolour gallery was added in 1901 and in 1902 the Grand Oval Lobby was completed.
Wikipedia.

Leave a Reply