Bizerte, Tunisia


BIZERTE. — Le Vieux Port et la Ksiba.
(The Old Port and the Ksiba_
c.1910
Published Levy & Sons, 1895-1919

Google Street View.

Bizerte or Bizerta (Arabic: بنزرت‎ About this soundBenzart), the classical Hippo, is a town of Bizerte Governorate in Tunisia. It is the northernmost city in Africa, located 65 km (40mil) north of the capital Tunis. It is one of the oldest known settlements in Tunisia, having been founded by settlers from the Phoenician port of Sidon around 1100 BC. It is also known as the last town to remain under French control after the rest of the country won its independence from France.
. . .
Arab armies took Bizerte in 647 in their first invasion of the area, but the city reverted to control from Constantinople until the Byzantines were defeated and finally driven from North Africa in 695–98. The troops of Charles V of the Holy Roman Empire captured the city in 1535; the Turks took it in 1574. The city then became a corsair harbour and struggled against the French and the Venetians. With its occupation of Tunisia in 1881, France gained control of Bizerte and built a large naval harbour in the city.

Wikipedia.

Leave a Reply