Florence Charterhouse (Certosa di Firenze or Certosa del Galluzzo) is a charterhouse, or Carthusian monastery, located in the Florence suburb of Galluzzo, in central Italy. The building is a walled complex located on Monte Acuto, at the point of confluence of the Ema and Greve rivers. The charterhouse was founded in 1341 by the Florentine noble Niccolò Acciaioli, Grand Seneschal of the Kingdom of Naples, but continued to expand over the centuries as the recipient of numerous donations.
Founded in the first half of the fourteenth century, by the will of Niccolò Acciaiuoli (1310- 1365), belonging to one of the richest banking families in Florence and ambassador to the Angevin Court of the Kingdom of Naples, the Certosa del Galluzzo is a monastic complex located south of the city on the top of Monte Acuto and surrounded by the Greve and Ema streams. Dedicated to the martyr S. Lorenzo (3rd century AD), it was completed and embellished until the 16th century, although other valuable works continued until the 18th century and beyond. . . . After the unification of Italy (1860), the law of the Italian government of 1866, which suppressed religious orders, also affected the Carthusian community. The monks, this time, appealed to the king of Italy who allowed them to remain as custodians of the Charterhouse – a real exception at that time – which was thus declared a national monument
Certose di Firenze
The Florence Charterhouse is one of the places to visit in secret Florence. It was built at the behest of the rich Florentine banker Niccolò Acciaiuoli, who had important political roles in the Kingdom of Naples and was Viceroy of Apulia at the Angevin Court. He wanted to build the Charterhouse for the Carthusian order. . . . It is actually not just one building but a complex of several buildings consisting of:
Palazzo Acciaiuoli with its Pinacoteca, which houses five important frescoes by Pontormo and other works by artists such as Perugino and Ghiralndaio;
the monastery and the guesthouse, designed to accommodate the monastery’s guests;
the Church of San Lorenzo and the Oratory of Santa Maria Nuova;
the Crypt and the Parlatoium;
the Chiostrino dei Monaci, the Sala del Capitolo and the Refectory;
the Chiostro Grande and the Chiostrino dei Fratelli Conversi, from which the activities for the good functioning of the Charterhouse were managed;
the Women’s Chapel.
The Art Post Blog: Florence Charterhouse and the Women’s Chapel
Among the important parts of this monastery is the church dedicated to San Lorenzo, with typically Mannerist architecture, full of frescoes and paintings with a lavish marble altar from the 16th century and a crypt which keeps many historic tombs, mostly belonging to the Acciaoli family. From the church you can reach the large Renaissance cloister, adorned with a big well and pottery by Andrea and Giovanni della Robbia(15th-16th century), which opens onto the cells, some of which can still be visited. Each cell is made up of a bedroom and a room for praying, both austerely furnished and overlooking an isolated garden. From this cloister you can access what is called the Conversi, a small area consisting of two overlaid loggias, and from here you can access the refectory.