Mission Dolores, Founded 1776, San Francisco, Cal.
On the back:
SAN FRANCISCO DE ASIS (Dolores)
San Francisco de Asis (Dolores), the sixth Mission established was founded October 8, 1776. This Mission gave the name to the metropolis of California and was named in honour of the patron of the Fanciscan Fathers. The old adobe, tile roofed, structure is still in a fine state of preservation, andwhile less architecturally pretentions, is a most interesting link between the present and the past. At its side in the old cemtery rests the body of Luis Antonio Argüello, the first Mexican governor of California, and within the walls of the church is buried José Francisco Ortega, the discovered of the Golden Gate.
Publisher: Pacific Novelty Co, San Francisco.
The Misión San Francisco de Asís was founded October 9, 1776. The settlement was named for St. Francis of Assisi, the founder of the Franciscan Order, but was also commonly known as “Mission Dolores” owing to the presence of a nearby creek named Arroyo de los Dolores, or “Creek of Sorrows.” Mission Dolores is the oldest intact building in the City of San Francisco and the only intact Mission Chapel in the chain of 21 established under the direction of Father Serra. The Mission has been a steadfast witness to the span of San Francisco’s history including the California Gold Rush and the 1906 San Francisco Earthquake. The Mission Cemetery is the only cemetery that remains within the City limits. The Cemetery is the final resting place for numerous Ohlone, Miwok, and other First Californians as well as notable California pioneers.
Mission Dolores Parish
The present Mission church, near what is now the intersection of Dolores and 16th Streets, was dedicated in 1791. At the time of dedication, a mural painted by native labor adorned the focal wall of the chapel. The Mission was constructed of adobe and was part of a complex of buildings used for housing, agricultural, and manufacturing enterprises (see architecture of the California missions). Though most of the Mission complex, including the quadrangle and Convento, has either been altered or demolished outright during the intervening years, the façade of the Mission chapel has remained relatively unchanged since its construction in 1782–1791.