The Musée des beaux-arts de Troyes (officially known as the musée Saint-Loup) is one of the two main art and archaeology museums in Troyes, France – the other is the Musée d’art moderne de Troyes. From 1831 it has been housed in the former Abbey of Saint Loup. It displays paintings of the fourteenth to nineteenth centuries (with strength in the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries), a strong representation of local medieval sculpture as well as busts of Louis XIV and Marie-Thérèse by the locally born sculptor François Girardon, and furniture and decorative arts, together with some locally recovered Roman antiquities, most notably the Treasure of Pouan, the grave goods of a fifth-century Germanic warrior, and the Apollo of Vaupoisson, a fine Gallo-Roman bronze.
Near the cathedral, the former Saint-Loup abbey , founded at the beginning of the Middle Ages and rebuilt, houses the Museum of Fine Arts and Archeology. The revolutionary confiscations constitute the origin and the nucleus of the collections of the Museum of Fine Arts. They were brought together in two places: the Notre-Dame-aux-Nonnains abbey , today the Prefecture of the Aube, and the Saint-Loup abbey . Of the confiscations, the most important is undoubtedly that of the whole of the Chapelle-Godefroy which belonged to Philibert Orry (1689-1747), Controller General of Finance and Director of the King’s Buildings (Natoire, Boullogne, Desportes, Boucher, Castelli, Hubert Robert and Watteau). Other large residences have delivered essential works: the castle of Pont-sur-Seine (Bellotto, Champaigne), the castle of Saint-Liébault (busts of Girardon). At the same time, confiscations from religious communities enriched the collection with works for the most part, executed by Trojan artists of the 17th century (Jacques de Létin).
The idea of opening the museum came back to the Academic Society of Aube . She worked on it from 1826 to 1831, the date of the official inauguration. She managed the establishment for more than a century, then, after the Second World War, she handed it over to the City of Troyes. In 1833, the first major donation to the museum was that of the Langres painter Dominique Morlot who bequeathed 46 paintings (Vernet, Allegrain, Tassel…). Other donations completed the collections: that of Joseph Audiffred (Rubens, Hudson), Charles des Guerrois , Albert Mérat , Madame Mitantier , the Sardin family and that of the Friends of museums which significantly enriched the collections (Lhomme, Picart, Baudesson, Mignard, van Lint, van Bijlert…). Finally, the museum benefits from prestigious deposits, in particular the Louvre museum (Mignard, Le Brun, Vasari).
Musees de Troyes (via Google Translate)