Lisieux, France


Le Vieux Lisieux – Vielles maisons, Rue de la Paix.
[Old Liesieux: Old houses, Rue de la Paix]

Street View


LISIEUX. – Vieilles Maisons de la Rue aux Fèves, XVIe S.
[Old Housses on the Rue aux Fevres]
1900s
Publisher: Neurdein Studios

Google Street View (approximate).

(Via Google Translate)
The street flourished in the Middle Ages when it became the street of metal craftsmen, or “fèvres” (name derived from the Latin “faber” which designates the blacksmith craftsman). Rue aux Fèvres is one of the oldest in Lisieux, its layout already existed in Gallo-Roman times. After hosting metalwork in the Middle Ages, it became the street of bakers; around 1770, twenty-nine bakers occupied the street. The street remained commercial until the 20th century , even if the businesses diversified. The street was one of the most typical of Lisieux, famous for its preserved architecture and its half-timbered houses. It was completely destroyed during the fires which followed the Allied bombings of June 6, 1944, but its layout and its name still remain
Wikipedia.

(Via Google Translate)
It is one of the oldest streets in Lisieux, the layout of which already existed in Gallo-Roman times. But it was in the Middle Ages that it took off, becoming THE street for metal craftsmen, or “fevres”, “from the Latin word “faber”, which designates the artisan blacksmith”, writes Dominique Fournier in the Dictionary of street names in Lisieux . . . .This small street, which connects avenue Victor-Hugo to place du Général-De-Gaulle, has indeed had several lives. From metalwork, in the 18th century it became the haunt of bakers. “Around 1770,” writes Dominique Fournier, “we find no less than 29.”  Some used a communal oven in the backyard of one of them.
Ouest France

La planche 18 donne une vue d’une maison située au n° 21; prise de l’étage d’une maison située en face. Il est aisé de se rendre compte de l’état de complète conservation des pans de bois auxquels, semble-t-il, rien n’a été touché. On notera l’opposition entre la rudesse des poteaux de construction, simplement équarris, et les fines colonnettes sculptées qui ornent les potelets.
[Plate 18 shows a house located at No. 21; taken from a house opposite. It is easy to realize the state of complete conservation of the timber sections to which, it seems, nothing has been touched. Note the contrast between the roughness of the building posts, simply squared, and the fine sculpted columns that adorn the posts.]
La Bibliotheque Electronique de Lisieux

Leave a Reply