The Saint-Louis Gate is one of the entry points in the fortified walls surrounding Old Québec. On the inside of the walls, rue Saint-Louis stretches from the gate to Château Frontenac, while on the outside can be found the Parliament Building and Grande Allée. This iconic gate is part of the fortification system comprising bastions, gates and defensive structures that account for Québec City’s renown as a fortified colonial city and the reason Old Québec was named a UNESCO World Heritage Centre. Only three other gates that were part of the original fortifications survive: the Kent, Saint-Jean and Prescott gates.
St. Lewis Gate, which now goes by its French name, Porte Saint-Louis, was the first part of the fortifications to be removed,. Three more of the five narrow gates that controlled access to the city centre followed suit in the name of easing traffic congestion. In 1878 construction work began on a new Porte Saint-Louis. The gate—which is still standing today—was built on the same site, but was a big improvement on the original in looks and size. It was the first major component of the plan put forward by Lord Dufferin and architect William Lynn to see the light of day. The same stones were used to preserve the gate’s historical charm, and attractive medieval-style turrets were added along with a broad archway to keep traffic moving.
Ville de Quebec
The ramparts of Quebec City is a city wall that surrounds the western end of Old Quebec’s Upper Town in Quebec City, Quebec, Canada. The ramparts date back to the 17th century, with the ramparts having undergone a succession of modifications and improvements throughout its history. The city walls extends 4.6 kilometres (2.9 mi), with the southern portions of the ramparts forming a part of the Citadelle of Quebec. . . . There are four main city gates built into the ramparts that provide access to Old Quebec’s Upper Town including Kent Gate, Prescott Gate, Saint-Jean Gate, and Saint-Louis Gate. During the mid-18th century, the ramparts had three city gates, although several other gates were later built in the mid-19th centuries. However the demolition of two city gates, Palace Gate and Hope Gate in the 19th century left the ramparts with a total of four city gates. Plans were in place to demolish the Saint-Jean and Saint-Louis gates in 1871, although intervention from Lord Dufferin prevented their demolition. . . . Saint-Louis Gate is built on rue Saint-Louis whose location back to the late 17th century. However, the present gate was built in 1878, built to replace the older gate with a gate that was more “aesthetically pleasing”. Like Saint-Jean Gate, the doors of Saint-Louis Gate were closed at night, disrupting local traffic until they were permanently removed in 1871.