Sanssouci, Potsdam, Germany


Potsdam | Schloss Sanssouci Mittelbau
1920s
“I. W. B. Serie Rembrandt”

Google Street View.

No other palace is so closely linked with the personality of Frederick the Great as Sanssouci. The name Sanssouci – without a care – should be understood as both the primary wish and leitmotif of the king, because this was the place where he most preferred to retreat in the company of his dogs. The king’s summer residence was ultimately his favorite place and sanctuary in difficult times.
Sanssouci Palace, Prussian Palaces and Gardens Foundation Berlin-Brandenburg

Sanssouci is a historical building in Potsdam, near Berlin. Built by Frederick the Great, King of Prussia, as his summer palace, it is often counted among the German rivals of Versailles. While Sanssouci is in the more intimate Rococo style and is far smaller than its French Baroque counterpart, it too is notable for the numerous temples and follies in the park. The palace was designed/built by Georg Wenzeslaus von Knobelsdorff between 1745 and 1747 to fulfill King Frederick’s need for a private residence where he could relax away from the pomp and ceremony of the Berlin court.
Wikipedia.


On back:
Potsdam, Sanssouci
Schloß. Musikzimmer.

[Music Room]
c.1930
Publisher: Staatliche Bildstelle/Deutscher Kunstverlag (which Googles translates to: “State Image Agency/German art publisher”)

Google Street View.

The principal entrance area, consisting of two halls, the “Entrance Hall” and the “Marble Hall”, is at the centre, thus providing common rooms for the assembly of guests and the court, while the principal rooms flanking the Marble Hall become progressively more intimate and private, in the tradition of the Baroque concept of state rooms. Thus, the Marble Hall was the principal reception room beneath the central dome. Five guest rooms adjoined the Marble Hall to the west, while the King’s apartments lay to the east – an audience room, music room, study, bedroom, library, and a long gallery on the north side.
Wikipedia.


On back:
Potsdam, Sanssouci
Bibliothek.

[Library]
c.1930
Publisher: Staatliche Bildstelle

Google Street View.

The circular library deviated from the spatial structure of French palace architecture. The room is almost hidden, accessed through a narrow passageway from the bedroom, underlining its private character. Cedarwood was used to panel the walls and for the alcoved bookcases. The harmonious shades of brown augmented with rich gold-coloured Rocaille ornaments were intended to create a peaceful mood. The bookcases contained approximately 2,100 volumes of Greek and Roman writings and historiographies and also a collection of French literature of the 17th and 18th centuries with a heavy emphasis on the works of Voltaire. The books were bound in brown or red goat leather and richly gilded.
Wikipedia.


Potsdam Sanssouci | Orangerie u Denkmal Friedrichs des Grossen
c.1940
Publisher: Robert Hugel, Berlin

Google Street View.

The Orangery Palace at Sanssouci was the last and largest palace building constructed in Sanssouci Park. It is an impressive example of the buildings erected by Frederick William IV, the “Romantic on the throne.” The imposing structure with its plant halls and central palace, sculptures, fountains, arcades and terraces evokes the flair of southern architecture in Potsdam and manifests Frederick William IV’s love of Italy in tangible form. The ensemble was created in the years between 1851 and 1864. . . . In addition to the lateral plant halls, which today still serve as the winter storage for frost-sensitive tubbed plants, the over 300-meter-long building also used to house royal suites and servants’ quarters. The plant halls are among the largest indoor special events locations (1000 people per hall) in the Berlin-Brandenburg region.
>Sanssouci Palace, Prussian Palaces and Gardens Foundation Berlin-Brandenburg

The equestrian statue of Frederick the Great is an outdoor monumental sculpture in cast bronze at the east end of Unter den Linden in Berlin, honouring King Frederick II of Prussia. It was commissioned by Frederick’s great nephew, Frederick William III, and dedicated by Frederick’s great-great nephew, Frederick William IV. Designed in 1839 by Christian Daniel Rauch [it was] unveiled in 1851 . . . In 1865 two students of Rauch’s, Aloisio Lazzerini and Carlo Baratta, made an approximately half-size copy in marble of Rauch’s equestrian statue, which is in the park at Sanssouci
Wikipedia.

Leave a Reply